Firstly, let's start by saying we love Flaxseed at FUEL HQ, so much that we have incorporated it into the following of our products - BREAKFAST FUEL / SLIM FUEL / COMPLETE FUEL / DAILY FUEL / OMEGA 369 FUEL.
Adding flaxseed to the foods you eat regularly can improve your heart health and digestive system. It also can help control your weight and fight cancer.
For something so small, flaxseed has big benefits. Recent studies have shown that flaxseed, known to the world for thousands of years, may aid in lowering cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar, reducing bone loss, promoting weight loss, increasing immunity, and fighting cancer.
Flaxseed is high in:
- Vitamins and minerals, including most of the B vitamins, magnesium, and manganese.
- Fibre, both soluble and insoluble.
- Phytochemicals, including many powerful antioxidants such as lignans. In fact, because it’s a plant, flaxseed is one of the best sources of lignans around.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, a key to fighting inflammation. Flaxseed is a mega-source of the plant version of omega-3 called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Flaxseed oil is about 50 percent ALA — five times more than walnut oil or canola oil, which are the next highest sources of ALA.
- Flaxseed may:
Lower blood cholesterol and blood sugar levels. The soluble fibre in flaxseed has been shown to lower cholesterol, helping to prevent the buildup of plaque, which can clog arteries and lead to high blood pressure, stroke, or heart attack. Fibre is also believed to lower blood sugar levels, which is important for people who have type 2 diabetes.
Reduce bone loss. A study of diabetic rats showed a delay in bone loss after they were fed flaxseed, thanks to its concentration of fatty acids.
Help with weight management. Flax expands when ingested, making you feel fuller. You might want to take flax 30 minutes before meals to control your appetite.
Improve digestive health. The fibre in flaxseed can help relieve constipation and make you more regular.
Increase immunity. ALA has been shown to decrease inflammation, which allows your immune system to function better. Preliminary research suggests that flaxseed can help relieve autoimmune and inflammatory disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and lupus.
Fight cancer. Studies show that flaxseed may have a role in fighting cancer, particularly colon and breast cancer. The benefit is based on its high concentration of lignans, which are believed to inhibit tumor growth.
- So there you have it, get your daily fill of flaxseed and FUELUP...
Share this post
- Tags: flaxseed